Physical Risks of Abortion
Depending on the specific abortion procedure, medical complications may include the following.
The risk of complications for the woman increases with advancing gestational age.
- Incomplete abortion
- Allergic reaction to medications
- Painful cramping
- Nausea and/or vomiting
- Heavy bleeding
- Torn cervix
- Perforated uterus
- Blood clots in uterus
- Anesthesia-related complications
- Retention of pieces of placenta
Emotional Risks of Abortion
Post Abortion Syndrome (PAS) has been identified as a set of symptoms some women experience after undergoing an abortion. Common symptoms include:
- Avoidance behaviors
- Psychological “numbing”
- Re-experiencing events related to the abortion
- Preoccupation with becoming pregnant again
- Anxiety over fertility and childbearing issues
- Interruption or disruption of the bonding with present and/or future children
- Self-abuse/self-destructive behaviors
- Anniversary reactions
- Brief psychotic disorder
If you have experienced some of these symptoms, come in and talk with someone who understands. We can help you find resources to begin healing.
You've got choices
Call today and let's talk!