Morning After Pill (Plan B)
The “Morning After Pill” is a large dose of oral contraceptive. For use within 72 hours (3 days) after sex, but it is more effective if taken sooner. It is NOT the same as RU-486.
Plan B is believed to act as an emergency contraceptive principally by preventing ovulation or fertilization. In addition, it may inhibit implantation. It is not effective once the process of implantation has begun.
- Emergency contraception is not effective if a woman is already pregnant.
Plan B does not protect against HIV infection (AIDS) and other sexually transmitted diseases.
- The most common side effects in the Plan B clinical trial were nausea, abdominal pain, fatigue, headache, and menstrual changes.
- The manufacturer warns that Plan B is not recommended for routine use as a contraceptive.
Abortion Pill (RU-486)
RU486 – “The Abortion Pill” – Mifeprex/Mifepristone with Misoprostol – less than 10 weeks after last menstrual period (LMP).
Medication Abortion during the 1st trimester.
A drug is given at your provider’s office, stopping the hormones needed for the fetus to grow. In addition, it causes the placenta to separate from the uterus, ending the pregnancy. A second drug is given, again at your provider’s office*, by mouth or placed in the vagina causing the uterus to contract and expel the fetus and placenta. A third visit to the doctor is required for follow up to make sure the abortion is completed.
*Note: In some areas, the two medical abortion drugs have been administered without in-person doctor visits during the pandemic, although this is not FDA approved. For the sake of your health, it is best to take medications under direct supervision of your doctor.
- Side effects (according to the FDA) include cramping, bleeding, diarrhea, nausea,fever, vomiting, headache, dizziness, back pain, tiredness
- Possible incomplete abortion; If your pregnancy is not ended, there is a chance of birth defects.
Source: MEDICATION GUIDE Mifeprex (MIF-eh-prex) (mifepristone) Rev 4/22/09, FDA approved
You've got choices
Call today and let's talk!