A free and confidential limited obstetric (early-pregnancy) ultrasound at Choices Pregnancy Center will give you the vital information you need about your pregnancy.
Your ultrasound will reveal how far along your pregnancy is. This “gestational age” is necessary for a variety of reasons:
- If you intend to have an abortion, gestational age will determine the methods that may be used. For instance, the FDA prohibits dispensing chemical abortion pills to women whose pregnancies are more than 11 weeks along.
- If you intend to carry your pregnancy to term, your doctor will want to know your baby’s gestational age to determine an accurate due date and for scheduling prenatal visits, which are important to supporting your health and your baby’s.
- Fetal development concerns can be detected early and responded to appropriately.
Ultrasound can reveal any risky abnormalities in where your pregnancy is developing. In a normal pregnancy, an embryo implants inside the uterus, which is naturally prepared to receive and support it. However, if the embryo implants anywhere other than the uterus (called an “ectopic pregnancy”):
- Immediate medical intervention is needed to protect you from the dangers associated with ectopic pregnancy
- If you had an abortion, it would not terminate your pregnancy. (Abortion methods only act upon pregnancies in the uterus).
Your ultrasound can also help determine whether your pregnancy is progressing normally. Depending on how far along you are, ultrasound is used to detect size, development, and presence of the baby’s heartbeat.
This information can be especially helpful if you are experiencing pain or bleeding with this pregnancy or have a history of miscarriage.
You've got choices
Call today and let's talk!