And so is your baby.
How does that combination of events make you feel?
Can you picture yourself on a future Mother’s Day, receiving a little crayoned card, or a craft project dripping with glue, or a bunch of freshly-picked dandelions—handed to you by your child’s tiny hand?
Do such pictures excite you? Make you a little teary-eyed? Scare you?
Do you wonder how you’ll ever be the kind of mom who deserves her child’s love and affection?
Then join the club. The “I’m About to Be a Mother” Club. We know the feeling.
I Remember Mama
Now here you are, looking at raising a child yourself. And you realize you’re not fully prepared. Suddenly, you get it: your mother was no more prepared than you are.
Every mother has her own growing up to do, her own bad habits to break. When you’re honest with yourself, you know you’re not perfect. Yet you, imperfect as you are, are already the most important person in your baby’s little life. And about to be more so.
Good news, Mom-to-be! Like every other mom, you can learn on the job.
We’ve gathered together some of the most helpful things you can do to succeed at motherhood:
- Plan ahead. Start now to become the mom you want to be. Your baby is already developing inside you. So every food choice, every chemical you let into your body (especially a street drug) is shaping the health and formation of your child. Make choices that your child will thank you for!
- Build yourself a team. Successful moms have a support network. Who are the moms you know who have raised children to be happy, healthy, productive adults? Get to know them. Ask them to share what worked for them.
- Learn how to talk to your child. Read our series of blogs, “Words Your Child Needs to Hear”. Click on these links to read about how to say “I love you,” “You can count on me,” “No,” “I treasure you,” and “I’m sorry, please forgive me.”
- Earn While You Learn. This program lets you stock up on freebies you and your child need while you learn about topics like pregnancy, childbirth, and parenting. Check out your local pregnancy center’s Earn While You Learn program. If you’re in the neighborhood of Redwood Falls, Minnesota, stop in at our office. Or look up a pregnancy help center near you through OptionLine.
- Find a good coach. At Choices Pregnancy Center, you’ll find encouragement to be the best mom you can be. We specialize in helping new mothers reach their potential. Find out how we do that by clicking here.
You Have Choices
You have a friend in Choices Pregnancy Center. We are all moms here. And we’re not afraid to share our stories so you can learn the easy way what we may have learned the hard way.
With Choices Pregnancy Center, you can freely express your concerns and ask your questions. We’ll be right here to help you find the answers that you need to feel like you are a mother worth celebrating on Mother’s Day.
If you can’t make it in to see us, keep reading this blog. We regularly provide lots of helpful information for moms at many points in their motherhood journey—there is even stuff for dads!
What are you looking forward to most about being a mother?
Join the conversation by leaving your comment.